1. What is MOPOKE Sydney?
MOPOKE is a 24-hour arts and culture festival promising to take you on an artistic journey through night & day. We intend to shake up your imagination, stimulate your curiosity & nourish your mind.
2. When is MOPOKE Sydney?
MOPOKE Sydney kicks off on Saturday 4th February at 6pm and runs for 24 hours until Sunday 5th February 6pm.
3. Where is MOPOKE Sydney?
4. What events are on during MOPOKE Sydney?
The events at MOPOKE Sydney are eclectic, stimulating, and creative. From music to live arts, drawings to paintings, storytelling to poetry, native gardens to gastronomy, art market to philosophy debates; the programming is not only eclectic but unprecedented and unique. There is something for everyone! Discover our program.
5. Is there a cost to attend MOPOKE Sydney?
6. What buildings are part of MOPOKE Sydney?
The iconic Macquarie Street will become pedestrianised for MOPOKE Sydney from 6pm Saturday 4th February to 6pm Sunday 5th February. Simply follow the black light path to discover unique indoor and outdoor activities!
The cultural institutions that are part of MOPOKE will feature many activities (check out the program) and will open for extended hours:
- The Hyde Park Barracks: Art Fair, Workshops and open until midnight Saturday
- State Library of NSW: after-hours access, bookish talks, archives, and open until midnight Saturday
- Art Gallery of NSW – live music, North Building tours and open until midnight Saturday
- Australian Museum – “Sharks” exhibition and open until 9pm Saturday
- St Mary’s Cathedral – Guided tours of the crypt and open until 11pm Saturday
Also included in the program:
- The Domain: Fire show, live piano, BBQ, and cocktails
- The Mint – Native Garden
- The Sydney Eye and Sydney Hospital – Artist’s Plaza
7. Can I purchase alcohol at MOPOKE Sydney?
Yes! We are a licensed event and will be serving alcoholic drinks for adults 18+. Please drink responsibly.
Please note, the Sydney and Sydney Eye Hospital grounds is an ALCOHOL-FREE ZONE.
8. Will there be gluten-free/vegan food options?
9. Can I bring food and/or drinks from home?
MOPOKE Sydney is a licensed event and will be offering delicious food and beverage options throughout the event. We recommend leaving your food and drinks at home so that you can enjoy what is on offer!
No alcohol is to be brought from outside the premises. Alcoholic beverages served at the event are for on-site consumption only and are not to be taken outside of the licensed area. MOPOKE is a drug-free event, and no drugs are permitted within the festival.
10. What are the food and beverage options available at MOPOKE Sydney?
Along Macquarie Street, 10 food trucks will showcase the diversity and quality of Sydney’s best street food. From Mexican to Vietnamese, Italian to Spanish, food trucks will offer a range of delectable cuisine and create unique glow-in-the-dark food offerings. Expect extraordinary food creations and eclectic beverages to refuel all through the night and day. Check out our food and beverage options.
11. Will MOPOKE Sydney be COVID-safe?
MOPOKE Sydney has both outdoor and indoor activities. We encourage all visitors to exercise caution and follow the NSW Health Guidelines:
- Stay up to date with your COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Stay home if you have cold or flu symptoms and get tested for COVID.
- Wear a mask in crowded, indoor places.
- Talk with your doctor now if you’re at higher risk of severe illness. You may be eligible for antiviral medicines.
- Don’t visit people who are at higher risk if you have symptoms or COVID-19.
12. Are the fire performances safe?
Yes! All our fire performers are experienced professionals, so please don’t try to recreate the magic at home.
13. What is the venue capacity?
Each area within the festival has a maximum capacity that will be maintained by event staff throughout the 24 hour period. Event staff will help visitors to manage their journey around the festival to ensure that maximum capacities are not exceeded.
14. Is there seating available throughout MOPOKE Sydney?
Seating will be available at different locations around the festival, especially in our licensed areas. However, we recommend wearing comfortable shoes as MOPOKE Sydney is best experienced walking around wherever your imagination takes you!
15. What happens if it rains?
MOPOKE Sydney will operate rain, hail or shine! We look forward to welcoming you.
16. How do I recover lost items during MOPOKE Sydney?
Any lost property found, will be taken to the Cinema Box office on Macquarie Street for the duration of the festival.
17. What measures have been put in place for lost children?
Event staff will ensure lost children are taken to the information tent (Cinema Box office on Macquarie Street) by Event Security. Information tent event staff will ensure duty of care and will call the parents if a number is given by the child. The child will remain at the Information tent for 2 hours and the police will be informed.
18. Do minors need to be accompanied by an adult?
We do recommend that minors be accompanied by an adult, however the festival is a family friendly event and minors are welcome to attend.
19. How do I find my workshop or event in MOPOKE Sydney?
Ask a friendly Mopoke team member, identified by their white t-shirt with a purple mopoke (owl) on the front! Directions are also available on the various maps & signposts around the festival.
20. What happens to my purchased tickets if I have COVID-19 and cannot attend?
Tickets are refundable up to 36hrs prior to the event.
21. Is there a map I can download for MOPOKE Sydney?
22. Is MOPOKE Sydney accessible?
MOPOKE is an accessible festival and there are alternative options available to access everything.
23. Can I bring my pet to MOPOKE Sydney?
Yes! We love furry friends.
24. How do I get to MOPOKE Sydney?
We recommend taking public transport to visit MOPOKE Sydney. Trains, buses and light rail services run regularly to nearby hubs at Martin Place, St James, QVB and Town Hall within walking distance of Macquarie Street.
Please note late night trains stop operating from approximately 1.30am and light rail services in the CBD run from 5am to 1am. Some late-night buses will continue to operate throughout the early hours. We recommend planning your trip ahead of time.
25. Can I park near MOPOKE Sydney?
There is no designated parking, however the Domain Car Park is a nearby option. Please note Macquarie Street is closed so vehicle access around the festival area is limited. Public transport is strongly recommended.
26. Are there any traffic restrictions during MOPOKE Sydney?
MOPOKE will run from 6pm on Saturday 4 February through until 6pm on Sunday 5 February. Macquarie Street will be closed to traffic before, during and after the event.